Operating Era: 1912-1952.
Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, Rock Island, Arkansas & Louisiana, Linde Air Products. Rock Island ordered 950 50' cars from Western Steel Car & Foundry and Pullman in 1912. The
were, to our knowledge, the first 50' SS cars built. However, the fishbelly underframe of the
previous decade was retained as a safety measure, resulting in an unusual looking car. Side
framing was a combination of Z-bars and channels, another unusual technique. Side doors were
double for a 10' opening. The A end has a full steel door while the B end was SS.
In 1925/6 the end doors were removed from most cars; however, a few retained them throughout
their lives. In 1928 the side doors were rebuilt as 1 and 1/2, 6' and 4' respectively. In 1930 many
cars were given 3 types of new end doors and some cars received 12' wide side openings. We
currently have no data on these 1930 revisions. In 1936 some cars were transferrred to auto body
loading. A photo of one car shows strengthened side panels and a new roof. As far as we can
tell, all versions of the revised cars ran ran concurrently, some into the late1940's. Cars were
slowly sold off in the 1940's, some showing up as single door cars on the Bamberger RR. Some
were converted to pulpwood service and some were used in MOW.