Operating Era: 1912-1930.
Rebuilt with One-Piece body including frame.
Norfolk & Western.
The first high capacity gondola, N&W built 750 GKa cars numbered 100000-100749 in 1914
for use at its new Lamberts Point rotary dumper. The cars were successful and in 1916 and
additional 1,000 cars of class GKb numbered 100750-101749 were built. These were 15"
shorter and 3" taller but except for different end sills looked externally identical to the
GKA. Built without internal crossties, these were added to both classes in the early 1920s
and the cars repainted. Rebuilt from the ground up in 1927-30, the cars were given peaked
corrugated ends and re-classed GKd. They lasted until 1953.
Pilcher Trucks available from Labelle Models.
Decal Set Available.