Operating Era: 1916-1964. New York Central, Michigan Central, Nickel Plate Road, Lake Erie & Western, Cincinati Northern, Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic, Rutland, Cleveland, Cincinati, Chicago & St. Louis, Minneapolis & St. Louis. NYC produced 9,500 of these cars simultaneously with 6,500 all steel cars of similar
design. We covered the steel cars in our series 7900 kits. The DS cars were a continuation
of the gradual improvement of car building over the previous twenty years. The railroad had
built tens of thousands of 36 foot DS cars during that period, first as truss rod cars, then with
steel underframes and finally with steel ends. The 1916 design simply added four feet to the
length of the car to accommodate a second door. The automobile trade was burgeoning and
all of NYC's house cars of this period were build for double duty of box and auto service.
Cars were installed for the parent company plus Michigan Central, Cincinnati Northern and
Nickel Plate's Lake Erie & Western. Most cars were rebuilt to all steel beginning in 1935 but
some ran as late as 1948. Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic purchased 100 cars from NYC
in 1935 and ran them into the 1960's, converting about half to single door cars. Another 800
cars of modified design were built in 1922-4 for NOR and Rutland. The Rutland cars lasted
into the 1960's.
PLEASE SEE OUR AUTOMOBILE CAR SECTION FOR OTHER #10100 SERIES KITS.