Operating Era: 1900-1961. Pennsylvania RR, Berwind White, Keystone Coal & Coke, Penn Gas Coal, Westmoreland Coal Co., New York Coal & Transport. The GL class was a 33` version of the PSC hopper first built for PB&LE in 1897. This first
all-steel design was delivered to PRR, its subsidiaries and mines PRR serviced between 1898
and 1904, totaling over 20,000 cars. Our kits feature one-piece hopper interiors for easier
assembly. Although given safety appliances beginning in 1911, the GLC class was not created until 1924
when the crossridge was lowered to give greater capacity. Wine door locks and straight side
sheets became replacement items beginning in 1926.
By 1941 most GLC`s had straight side sheets and Wine door locks. In February PRR started
giving the cars AB brakes and power hand brakes, creating the GLCA class. Our kit provides 3
ends and two brake sets to model both late GLC and the GLCA until scrapping in the late
1950`s and early `60s.